Thursday, November 10, 2011

What's In A Name? - Again

What a blessing it is to have the Okoye Family from Nigeria as a part of our Chapel Hill Christian School Family!

In a past blog entry you may remember that I got pretty excited about the real meanings of the real names of Mr. Okoye and his sons Paul and Joseph (who attend our Green Campus).  I told you then that Mr. Okoye's name means the "power of God."  Joe's name means God is my strength, and Paul's name means God is my guide.

Yep, I get excited just thinkin' about the sermons that could be preached from those names!

And do you want to know what else?  The other day Mr. Okoye sent me an e mail that told me the other names in his family and what they mean.  You want to know, right?  Well, okay then, here we go!

Mrs. Okoye's name, Ifedinma, means "No one is like God's Son for He is good."  Mr. and Mrs. Okoye's first child's name is Ebelechukwu Nkiruku (not even gonna try to pronounce that one for ya); it means "God is my mercy, so my future is greater." Very cool, right?

Soooo, this has got to get us to thinkin'!  Let's put them all together, shall we?

If God is powerful and almighty, it is very important that He is also good.  If He is almighty, but not good, you and I are in trouble.  "Why?" you ask.  Because the Bible says that the penalty for disobeying God is death.  And guess what? You and I have sinned.

But GOOD NEWS!  God is good!  When His goodness and power come together, we get His mercy through His Son, Jesus.  But wait, there's more!  His mercy allows us to be in a friendship with our good and powerful God.  And in this friendship He gives us His strength and His guidance.  It's amazing; isn't it?  


It is so awesome; we better just stop and pray now!  Dear Lord, thank You for being powerful and good.  And thank You for giving us Your mercy, instead of wrath - and Your guidance and strength.  We praise You this morning!  In Jesus' name, Amen.


Proud of you,
Pastor Wilson




   

No comments:

Post a Comment