Thursday, September 8, 2011

"Hoofies to the Quick"


One of my parents, I don’t know which one, mom or dad, used to say this little phrase when she or he was talking about working very hard.  It became a regular phrase in our home.  Someone would say, “I was working my little hoofies to the quick.”  I think it means that someone is running around so fast while they are serving or working, that his or her feet are getting worn down.

I saw “hoofies to the quick” recently.  It was at the faculty breakfast before school started.  Some of our moms and dads came to serve the breakfast to all the teachers and staff from both campuses.  There was a lot of breakfast being “chowed down”!

The thing no one expected was that the three or four sets of mom and dads who came to serve brought their girls, who are CHCS students, to help serve as well.  These girls actually ran around pouring coffee, juice and water.  They carried seconds of food to our teachers and staff, and they picked up all the trash.  By the time we were done eating, the whole cafeteria was “spick-n-span” (super clean).   

These girls worked their “hoofies to the quick”.  And they did it all without complaining or arguing; they did it with the very Spirit of Jesus. They were "shining like stars!"

Watching them got me to thinkin’  about a verse: “And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name (or nature) of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him (Colossians 3:17).”  They had served all of our school’s faculty and staff with the nature of Jesus and had been thankful to do it.

So many times when we’re asked to help or work, we whine about it.  But God looks at work differently; He has given it to us as a gift.  We shouldn’t worship our work, but we should see it as a way to thank and honor God.

Let’s ask God to help us with this, OK?  Lord Jesus, help to have Your attitude about work.  Help me to be like these girls, who worked, yes, worked hard, and found that their work was Your gift to them.  In Jesus name,  Amen.

Proud of you,
Pastor Wilson

2 comments:

  1. I say this phrase all the time I still do not know where it originates I said it's day because I really Worked my hoofies to the quick. I googled the phrase and so glad to see the xhristianreference

    ReplyDelete
  2. I first saw it in a commercial back in the 70s.

    ReplyDelete