Monday, September 19, 2011

Still Coloring the Bible

You know, I'm still thinkin' about "coloring the Bible" with Zaire, Josh and Leigh.  Maybe it's still on my mind because I haven't colored in so long.  Or maybe I've been thinkin' about Zaire's big yellow rock flying toward Goliath's head.  Or maybe it's all about Goliath's hair getting colored orange (the same color as my son, John's).  Or maybe I'm remembering that when John "colored the bible" he asked Jesus into his heart.  Who knows?  But I'm still thinkin' about it.

I know!  It's because I love the story of David and Goliath.  You know that one, don't you?  David goes to visit his brothers at the battle, and they made fun of him because they thought he was just trying to act big.  He volunteers to fight the Giant, Goliath, so King Saul tries to give him some armor.  After everything David decides that he'll fight Goliath the way God has taught him to protect his sheep: with a sling and a stone.  And David comes out on top!

Is this just a story about the little guy whipping the big guy, or is there something more to the story than that?  Yes, we all love it when the bully loses, but is that all this is about?  Let's look closer!

How did David really beat Goliath?  Why don't we ask him?

Come on Pastor Wilson; David lived about 3,000 years ago.  Yes, I know, but we can actually read what David said in the Bible!  Look it up in I Samuel 17.

Goliath was trying to scare David when he said, "Am I a dog that you come at me with sticks?"

David talked right back to that giant and said, "You come against me with sword and spear and javelin, but I come against you in the name of the Lord Almighty, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. ...All those gathered here will know that it is not by sword or spear that the Lord saves; for the battle is the Lord's and He will give all of you into our hands."

How did David do it?  By the power of God!  How do we gain the power and wisdom of God?  By asking Jesus into our lives and by allowing Him to be our Lord.

Mrs. Truthan told her students this great story after we "colored the Bible."  One of my coloring partners, Josh, really understood all of this.   He took the story home and told his family about it.  He also prayed  about asking Jesus into His life just like my son John did when he was coloring 15 years ago!  Isn't it great to "color the bible."

Let's thank the Lord: Dear Lord, thank you that Your word is so powerful.  Thank you that it is all about Jesus and that all the stories lead us to know Him and to want to tell others about Him.  And thank you that boys and girls can ask you into their hearts; and when they do, You come in by Your Spirit and live in them!  In Jesus' name, Amen.

Proud of you,
Pastor Wilson

No comments:

Post a Comment