Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Got "Go Bar"?


The grass was getting very long over this past weekend, because we didn’t have a lawnmower at our new house yet.  I finally broke down and went mower shopping.  At about the sixth stop I found a shiny red, Troy-Built push mower that was significantly marked down in price.  The sales lady was able to mark it down another twenty dollars, and it came home to live with me.

I wanted to try it out right away, but there was a pretty big road block in my way.  The bar that you must hold down to start the mower was missing.  Even if I could start my new shiny red Troy-Built, it would have been tough to keep it going. 

Of course, I got back in my car and drove across town to see if a sales person at the store would give me a “go bar”.  Guess what?  They called a man in the back, and he knew all about the problem.  He had given the “go bar” off my shiny red Troy-Built to someone else who needed one.  He said, “No problem; we’ll just take one off of this other mower and give it to you.

Lickety-split I was out of the store, arrived at home, installed my new “go bar”, gassed up my mower, and I was cuttin’ grass!  Of course, I got to thinkin’…

What is the “go bar” in my friendship to Jesus and how do I maintain that friendship once it gets started?  John 3:16 says, “God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son that whoever believes in Him will not perish but have eternal life.”  The “go bar” is God’s love.  Your friendship with Him begins with the fact that He loves you.

John 1:12 says, “But to all who believed in Him and accepted Him, He gave the right to become children of God (NLT).”  We continue our friendship to Him by believing in Him in every part of our life: family, church, school, friendships and how we spend our time.

Have you pressed the “go bar” and held it down so you know God’s friendship all the time?  You can, you know!  It all starts by understanding God’s love to you through His Son Jesus.

Can we pray about it?  Father in Heaven, thank You for loving me through your Son, Jesus.  I accept Your love for me and will continue to accept Your love in every thing I am and do and learn.  I want to press the “go bar” of Your friendship to me and hold it down by walking with You in each and every event in all of my days.

Proud of you,
Pastor Wilson

No comments:

Post a Comment