Tuesday, August 30, 2011

I Got It In My Eyes


I have to wear reading glasses nowadays.  The deal is that if I’m driving or trying to see things far away, I am A-OK.  But if I’m trying to read things close up, they get blurry; so they have to be magnified by my glasses.

I forgot my glasses at home today.  Guess what – I couldn’t read a thing!

Sometimes in the morning I forget to take off my glasses after I read my devotional book and the Bible.  I proceed to brush my teeth and shave with my glasses on.  Not a good idea on one particular morning…

I was starting out a new can of shaving cream; I use the gel kind that turns into foam after it touches my hand.  Well, this new “can of cream” must have been under a great deal of pressure.  I pointed the nozzle into my hand and pressed the button gently and WOW!  The gel came out with such force that it bounced off of my hand, filled up my eyes and part of my nose and then ricocheted all over the mirror!  And yep, it turned to foam in my eyes and up my nose.

I stood there in shock for a little while and hoped no one was watching this disaster.   Then I removed my glasses and began to clean up the mess; and of course, I had to blow my nose.

I got to thinkin’ about this yesterday when I was writing about Andrew being able to see so clearly.  I, on the other hand, couldn’t see at all.  My glasses were full and my eyes were running, because my nose was full.

Sometimes we feel such pressure from the things or people around us or from the feelings within us that we just can’t see straight.  Like yesterday, I’m talking about “the eyes of our heart” or the way we are able to understand what God is saying to us.

Today a North Chapel I was talking about being honest about idols or “dirt” in our lives.  God wants to clean that stuff off, so we can see.  Yes, so we can see Him more and more clearly.  The Bible doesn’t tell to focus on the world, in fact, it tells us that if we love the world and the things in the world that the love of the Father is not in us.  If our focus is the world, we’ll see about as good as Pastor Wilson with shaving cream in his eyes and nose.

The Bible says, …”Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.  Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith...  (see Hebrews 12:1-3).”

Let’s have a good prayer: Lord, will You help us keep our eyes off the world and help us keep them fixed on You?  Don’t let the junk of the world fill our eyes so we can’t see You, but let us look clearly into Your face, so that we may know You (Philippians 3:9-10).

Proud of you,
Pastor Wilson

No comments:

Post a Comment